Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tea, Scones and Yoga. Not just for Sundays

Life seems to throw more curve balls than I can catch. And there always seems to be a friend to meet up with, or an errand to run. Don't get me wrong, I love catching up with friends, and getting tasks accomplished, but it feels as though we don't treat those types of activities in the same way as we treat treats. I seems as though we always have an excuse for being busy with nothing, and its not looked at as being time for yourself - a treat - a break from the norm.

I have found some great yoga podcasts on ITunes that range from 4-10 minutes long. They are by Tara Stiles and can be tailored to a muscle group or goal (fat burn, relaxation, hamstrings, etc.) I love feeling stretched after 8 minutes and I don't feel like I have had to give up an extreme amount of time for this treat.

In addition, I am really getting into ancient grains and their flours. I love scones, but find that unless I can control what goes in to them (I am slightly a control freak), I am nervous about eating them. Here is a recipe that I adapted so that I can stop being afraid of them. Food is supposed to nourish the body, not be something that is obsessed about from a nutritional/taste/satisfaction stand point.


Berry Kamut Scones
(Recipe adapted from Scandi Foodie Blog)

1 3/4 cups flour (I have used Kamut, and a combo Whole Wheat and Kamut. Most flours would work)
½ cup Wheat or Oat Bran
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tblsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs

1 tblsp honey
1 cup yogurt
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mixed frozen berries

 Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a cookie sheet. Mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the oil, eggs, and sugar. Add half of the flour in the batter and mix well. Flavour the yogurt with the vanilla and honey, and fold into the batter. Fold in the rest of the flour. Form into scone shapes, and top with berries. Bake for 20 minutes. Yield: 7-8 scones.


My goal for the week: stop doing/thinking/feeling what I am focussed on and just enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment