Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fiery Chicken Soup


I have been attacked by the flu. Blah.

From sitting around, trying to get better, I have realized I am worse than a five-year-old-on-sugar at doing nothing. I really am. I honestly have to try really hard to sit and read, or watch amazingly informing tv shows (like re-runs of what not to wear) without thinking about checking something off my personal to-do list and then proceeding to do that (but seriously how good does it feel to have a check mark across something?) I never used to be like this. Especially when I was in university and had things to do. Have I gone crazy?! (That's a rhetorical question).

Enter the flu. Wow does it ever knock you out. Lesson learned, I do too much.

So how do I survive this awful awful task of doing nothing so that I feel better?! I make the world's easiest soup, and take 2 hours naps. Now, that right there sounds like something I should do more of.

Fact.
  
Recipe: Fiery Chicken Soup

Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
1 large carrot, diced
1 large beet, diced
1 cup cauliflower florets, diced
Spices (to taste):
  • salt
  • pepper
  • paprika
  • garlic
  • curry
  • red pepper flakes
2 cups cook chicken, diced or shredded
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup water

Directions
In a large sauce pan heat olive oil. Add carrots, beet and cauliflower and saute for about 5 minutes until the beets begin to turn everything red. Add in the spices to taste and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to get soft.


Add in the chicken and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes (depending on your preference for tenderness of the vegetables).  Next pour in chicken stock and water and bring to a boil.


This recipe is called "fiery" for three reasons:

1. It does have a bit of a kick to it. 
2. The beets turn the chicken stock a bright red colour. 
3. My nails are bright red (see the sneaky reflection in the lid?!) which was actually a total coincidence and not planned.

Simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables reach desired tenderness.


Feel the fiery-ness of the soup start to flush out all flu symptoms.


(Let me know if you actually feel the last one happen...I didn't, but the soup was still a perfect treat for a sick-y).

No comments:

Post a Comment