Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Simple Broiled Salmon with Stained Stir-fry Vegetables

 
Yes, I was fully aware yesterday was Valentine's Day. And yes I realize that I didn't do anything festive at all, blogwise, to show that. Sorry.

Now that that is said and done with, I thought something light and healthy is the perfect remedy to your Valentine hangover. Too much chocolate? Not enough loving? Whatever ails you I find that the best way to feel better is with a nice "schmancy" dinner for yourself.

Do you ever notice that if you cook something that isn't your run of the mill chicken with carrots and broccoli, that it is very easy to make it feel fancy? Seriously. Think about it. When you cook kale,  what goes through my head is "hmmm, this dinner isn't really just a normal Wednesday night tired effort..." Or, how sauteing a mushroom suddenly takes a veggie from a usual suspect to something fragrant, and decadent. Your vocabulary also seems to change...and do I detect a slight accent now?!

Ok, so that's probably too far, but honestly. Salmon. Kale. Beets. Mushrooms. Garlic. Pepper. Lemon Juice. Knife. Fork.
That's it.

And to keep it really fancy, I'm going to let you in to the secret -- I baked and broiled the salmon in my toaster oven.


Sooooo university-self style.

Logic test...can you tell while I named it stained stir-fry vegetables?!


(hint, hint....notice the running of the juices?)

And when you add the rest of the veggies...


Well...you know the rest!

Simple Broiled Salmon with Stained Stir-fry Vegetables

Ingredients
Salmon Filet (large enough to feed whoever is hungry)
1 large beet, sliced thinly
2 cups sliced mushroom
2 cups sliced kale, stocks removed
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
Pepper, to taste
(I also chopped up a bit of avocado for the side)

Directions
1. Pre-heat over to 400F. Place the salmon on a foil lined tray and bake for 30 minutes.

2. Heat up a pan with a bit of oil or cooking spray. Add beets and garlic and saute until the juices start to flow, about 5 minutes.

3. Add kale, mushrooms, lemon juice, and pepper. Start to stir-fry the vegetables and then cover to allow the juices to steam into the veggies.

4. When the salmon is done baking, broil on high for an additional 5 minutes to seal in the juices and crisp up the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment