Sunday, March 4, 2012

Strawberry Pancakes



It's really blowing here. Like really blowing. Last night I was concerned that it just might be strong enough to pick up the BBQ on our deck and chuck it somewhere. It didn't, but I was honestly nervous that it might happen.  That's how windy it was. And the wind continued this morning! It's still blowing out there. I'm totally amazed at how much force this burst of air movement still has left in it.  Now that's endurance.

The wind also totally blows my mind. I love it. It's so weird and cool and non-existent but you can still feel it. It's more like an emotion than a thing. 

I always loved the weather, but never really liked any other aspects of Geology. Growing up I was terrified of earthquakes, which are definitely something you learn about in Geology and are definitely a component of Meteorology, so I never wanted to pursue anything that had me learn about something that scared the crap out of me! However I always found clouds and how they form really neat. And I loved storms and the fierceness they possessed. 

Actually, there was also a time that I was afraid of wind storms. But now I think they are neat. Earthquakes are still another story...
When it's stormy outside, its a great excuse to cozy up with comfort inside. Pancakes are probably my favourite breakfast food. Period.



Budweiser can in the background? No I was not drinking this morning and making pancakes...

Strawberry Pancakes (makes about 12 4-inch pancakes)

Ingredients
Butter, for the pan
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberries, diced
Maple Syrup, for serving (optional)
Yogurt, for serving (optional)

Directions

1. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and begin to combine. Once the wet and dry ingredients are about half way combined begin to fold in the strawberries. Mix ingredients until just combined.
4. Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Heat a skillet and melt butter in the pan
6. Pour batter into the pan and cook until bubbles begin to form and pop on the pancakes, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
7. Serve with your favourite toppings (mine are yogurt and maple syrup!)









No comments:

Post a Comment