Thursday, May 3, 2012

Butterscotch Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sometimes there are days when you just need a bit of comfort. These are days that aren't necessarily bad for you, but something happens and it makes you sad. They are the ones when you just need a bit of comfort and familiarity.

I had one of those days recently. And food can be a really great comfort. It's cool that way. It can calm you down, excite you, provide you with comfort and can even make you cry.  If you ask me, I think food has morphed into something much more than a necessity (at least for me in my sheltered view living in my comfortable western world). Because I have access to it, I can use it as a tool to make myself feel better, comfort me, celebrate successes, and grieve losses. I think that is neat.

This comfort recipe is perfect. Banana bread meets chocolate chip cookie, with the added surprise of a bit of a butterscotch sundae mixed in. Probably my three favourite things all mixed into one little bundle of sweet comfort. If you are sharing these, I suggest doubling the recipe.



Butterscotch Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 12 Cookies

Ingredients:
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp coconut flour (for a non-gluten free version use 3/4 cup all-purpose flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 half of medium sized banana, mashed
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, butter and cream cheese until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Next, add the banana and beat until combined.

3. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix together with a spatula. Add the rolled oats, butterscotch and chocolate chips and mix until just combine.

4. Chill dough for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 F.

5. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment