Saturday, October 27, 2012

Florentine Omelet


I am not good at healthy anticipation. I am the least patient person. So anticipation can sometimes kiiillll me. Example 1: today I booked a vacation. But the vacation isn't until the end of January. JANUARY! And now that the initial adrenaline of the booking process has subsided, I am left with anticipation. Cold, taunting anticipation. I just want it to be here right now. Like, right now. Luckily my mothers voices of reason pipes up and says, "hold up for just a sec, because fast forward to January now, then you will miss Halloween (great holiday) and Christmas (even better holiday!)". Smart woman that mother of mine is. Note: since I am Canadian I have ignored Thanksgiving, we already celebrated it. 

It's like the really bad movie "Click" with Adam Sandler. You know, the one where he finds a remote control in Bed, Bath and Beyond and he can fast forward through the parts of life he doesn't want to wait through -- like a work day, or until he is promoted and can set his own schedule. But he realizes (here comes the sappy epiphany music) that he doesn't want to fast forward through the mundane crappy tasks, because he misses out on the way cooler moments that happen along the way. So although my anticipation right now is slightly a huge downer, I know that tomorrow I will probably have forgotten about wishing it was January and will be able to focus on a nice lazy Sunday. So maybe I am being slightly melodramatic and my anticipation problem is more just in the short term and really isn't a problem.

Well that seemed simple.

Remember when I made the Asparagus Scramelet? And I just couldn't get the flip? Ya well, I'm back, with gusto, and a french-style omelet. AND IT WORKED! Turned out I just needed a griddle, and some patience to do it. Bing-bang heck yes. I think I had the patience for this omelet because today it was raining hard. I have to give the rain some credit; the pitter-patter was calming. I also think I didn't really feel in any rush to be anywhere else, because being somewhere else would have required me to go outside. And with the amount it was raining, I had zero desire to be outside. So I will credit this success to a combination of my morning patience, and my calming soundtrack from the raindrops. It was a huuuuge success (in a Borat voice).

 It starts simple and ends simple. It's black and white.



Milk, Eggs, pepper and a fork to whisk it all together and make it nice and frothy. 


It gets a little tricky here because the eggs like to run all over the place! I used my griddle. Griddles are perfect for Saturdays and Sundays.


Rolling it all up into a crepe style french omelet. Success :)


Next I grilled up some tomatoes to put on top. Grilled tomatoes are like a nice warm sweet to balance out with the creamy coldness of the cheese. I feel like we are following the yellow brick road here, with some nice bright red flowers on the side.


And finally plate it all up. Beautiful.








Dig in!


Satisfaction



Florentine Omelet
Serves 1

2 eggs
2-3 Tbsp Almond Milk
1/2 cup baby spinach
1 oz goat cheese
3 slices of tomato
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Heat up a griddle plate to 400F or a frying pan to medium-high heat. Spray the surface with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl whisk together eggs, almond milk and a dash of each salt and pepper. Whisk until light and frothy. 
3. Take the egg mixture and spread a thin layer over your cooking surface. Cook until the eggs appear to be firm, about 3-4 minutes.
4. In the middle of your eggs place spinach and goat cheese. 
5. Proceed to flip the eggs over the spinach and cheese in about 2 inch increments the eggs have rolled into something resembling a crepe. Continue grilling on both sides until lightly browned.
6. Take the three slices of tomato and grill until hot and soft, about 1-2 minutes per side.
7. Serve tomatoes on top of the omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment