I love tacos. I love salsa. I love Mexican food. Mad love. What is your go to food? I have to say that every time I have friends over for dinner, I usually opt to make some sort of taco. I find them to be totally choose your own adventure style. This bodes well since there is always that one friend that is your total meat and cheese guy. Vegetables, gross. But, it's ok, he says, I like the V-8 V-Fusion juice. I get my vegetables from that. Well, in my opinion it's better than nothing. There have been cases of scurvy at universities in the past five years, and so as long as the nutrients are sort of in the diet, then I'm ok with the meat and the cheese man drinking juice. At least there is corn in the tortillas. Well, that's debatable, but let's leave that there.
What is your go to food? I have never had a bad taco experience (when I cook them at least). And I'm always happy after eating tacos! It is seriously my most satisfying food. All food should be satisfying. There is nothing worse than eating something and at the end of it going, ok where's the substance. Not worth it. Anything that is unsatisfying is entirely disappointing. It's like going to a friends house for a great Saturday night and then sitting around doing nothing. The potential is there. The right ingredients are there (good friends, a couple of drinks, great snacks, etc.) but for whatever reason the puzzle pieces just don't align. How unsatisfying. In theory, there shouldn't be a problem. Everything should be great. However in practice, its a fail.
Mexican food is never a fail. It's one of those great winning combination of spice, corn, tomatoes and hot peppers.
Starting out with a fish fry!
One veggie, two veggie, cheese veggie. Maybe that's wishful thinking.
Chopping up the fish, so it will fit in the tacos. And getting a little carrot thrown into the mix.
Now, let's top it off with some real love. Oh salsa, how you make me weak.
Peaking out at the bottom is a bit of the fish. Although she's hiding, trust me, she's in tehre. Topped with melting cheese.
Oh, Baby! I could look at these allllll day.
Makes 6 tacos
3 medium pieces of cod (about 400g)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp lemon dill spice
1/4 cup cucumber, sliced
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup grated mozzarella
1/4 cup salsa
6 corn tortilla shells (the hard shells)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Place the cod in the skillet. On the top of the cod sprinkle the chili powder, cayenne pepper and lemon dill spice evenly.
2. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the fish is no longer transparent.
3. While the fish is cooking, slice cucumber, grate carrots and cheese and set aside.
4. Turn your oven on to broil and place the tortilla shells in the oven to allow them to crips up slightly, for about 1-2 minutes (watch them or else they will burn!)
5. When the fish is cooked, cut it into strips or 1/2 inch cubes. Taking about 1/2 of a piece of cod, put it in the bottom of one taco shell. Cover with 1 tbsp cheese, followed by 1 tbsp carrots and 1 tbsp of sliced cucumber. Top with 1 tbsp of salsa.