Friday, November 4, 2011

I just love recipes.

I was once told by my mother that if I was going to bake I should do it with allll the butter and allll the sugar, because if you were going to make a treat you might as well actually make a treat.

Wellll in the interest of always doing the opposite of what someone tells you to do I ignored that, and I have continued to bake with more naturally occurring sugars (honey and applesauce  give enough flavour to the recipe to keep me, and the man of the house, happy!), and less fattening "fats". I find that when you put less refined and more naturally occurring foods in to you, your body can deal with them in a much better manner. So that is what I am trying to do. Halloween didn't help that initiative.

Breads and scones and biscuits seem to be the most tricky to get away from the last item. There is something about a baked good with butter that makes them extremely flaky and decadent, while still being mainstream at the same time. Yet, in my true fashion (and partly my own personal fear), I experimented with sour cream. The results - (in my opinion) SUCCESS! I am extremely excited to utilize my freshly homemade scone for a delicious Saturday breakfast. The combinations of what I can put on it are endless. Scrambled egg with cheese and red pepper, peanut butter and jam, fresh fruit and yogurt or creme fraiche....I know that is three options but think of the mix and match possibilities!

Now, let's just put a slight disclaimer on the previous butter substitute statement. There are differences when you don't cook with butter and substitute sour cream or yogurt. They seem to come out with a different texture. Now I might have desensitized myself to this texture but its spongier, and not as flaky or pastry-like, the way butter makes scones. But! If you want to give it a whirl, I did and I found success.

Disclaimer 2: Recently I made cookies. Full, legit, cookies. Normally I would eat about half the batch while they are still warm coming out of the oven. However this time I was smart about it. The legit cookies (oatmeal chocolate chip) were delicious, well executed, and I made them like my grandma would. Extremely small.

I think Grandma's are on to something with their cookie size. Especially when it comes to grand kids and the need to have five or six cookies. When you make them the size I made them, you don't feel as bad about having three or four. When you eat three or four of the "normal sized" cookies, you can feel it. And it feels normally a bit sugar-hungover-heavy-like. But, its like a knee-jerk reaction. You have to eat at least three to get the full effect of these cookies.

The other thing I did with these cookies is I froze half the batch! There is something frozen-dessert like about cookies that are frozen! I like the cold and the hardness of a frozen cookie, and its always cool to feel it thaw and melt just a little bit in your mouth. Plus something about the cold made me find them waaay more satisfying.

I just love recipes.

Scone Recipe (adapted from "A Homemade Life" by Molly Wizenberg)




2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
2 tblsp unsweetened apple sauce
1 tblsp honey
2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup milk, plus more for glazing
1 large egg

1. Preheat over 425F
2. Mix together flour, baking power, and salt. Add the sour cream and mix until small pea lumps form (the mix should look like you added butter and cut it into small pieces). Add the apple sauce, honey and lemon zest.
3. Make a hole in the middle of your flour mixture and pour in the milk and the egg. Mix well until just all the flour is combined. Your dough will be fairly gooey.
4. Form the dough into a ball and put onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Work the dough into a flat round shape and score into 8 pieces.
5. Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until pale golden brown (it was about 12 for me).
6. Serve any way you would like! (Even serve them with butter if that makes you happy!)


See what I mean about them being spongy? Maybe you can't really tell from the picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment