Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Curry to the Rescue


The most romantic thing happened to me today. (Ok, so girls tend to get a bit extra mushy when Valentine's Day is approaching).

I left my wallet at home because I put it in my gym bag last night but forgot to put it back in my purse before going to work. This morning, I totally forgot about that, left for work, got on the train, and half asleep made my way in to work. As I was unloading my lunch, day-planner and cell phone out of my bag, preparing for my day, I realized what I had done. No wallet, no train pass, no identification. I was lost.

"Effffff I left my wallet at home" is what the message to my beau said.

"I will see how the morning goes, but I can drive it down to you on my lunch break if you need it" was the reply.

"Um, that would be FANTASTIC!"


Is this guy for real?! So I figured the least I could do would be to cook him a delicious dinner. The obviously choice was a curry dish to pre-emptively spice things up leading to Valentine's Day, right? Ok, so curry isn't the most romantic dish, but it seemed fitting since he so selflessly "curry-iered" (get it courier, "curry-iered"...ok, that was bad) my wallet to me like the knight in shining armour he truly is.

Plus, he loves curry. No brainer.

Adaptable Green Thai Curry (adapted from Delish)

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
A few medium vegetables of your choice, chopped (I used celery, carrot, and green pepper. Other good suggestions include red pepper, eggplant, onion, and bamboo shoots)
1 clove garlic
1 tsp ginger
2 tbsp green curry paste
3 medium size boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can of "lite" coconut milk
1 tbsp fish sauce (can substitute soy sauce)
1 tsp light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets

Directions:


Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chosen vegetables; cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
 

 Add garlic, ginger and curry paste; stir to mix. 


Add chicken and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. 


Stir in broth, coconut milk, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar; bring to a simmer. 



Add cauliflower, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.  Serve hot over rice or noodles (I used leftover wild rice, can you see the little bits?).

No comments:

Post a Comment