Sunday, February 26, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

 
It's that time of year again. The time when I start to hate everything, including the cold weather. I am feeling like every time I open my closet I have nothing to wear, although it's full. Every night when I go to make dinner I don't have anything I want to eat, even if it's Monday and I just went grocery shopping the night before. And each morning when I step outside, it's too cold for spring, yet all I want to do is run outside, wear flats with no socks underneath, maybe even try a pair of shorts, and wear a really nice pastel flowing dress with a cute pair of pumps. Is this really too much to ask since I have been buried under a parka and wool socks for the last five months?! Ok, so it's a little early on my part, but the groundhog saw it's shadow so spring is supposed to come early this year!

Of course it is, I live in Toronto now. We aren't in Kansas anymore (or on the West Coast, where I'm used to the weather and have accepted the rain). 

Classic winter blues. Is there really any great way to beat them? And if there is, is there any way to beat the always wanting what you don't have syndrome? Or always wanting something more instead of savouring the moment you have? In my opinion Spring cleaning helps, but is definitely not the remedy in this case. Plus the thought of cleaning right now makes me feeling even blue-er. Blah.


A friend of mine recently had a baby girl. And by recently I mean last weekend. Wow, is she ever beautiful. And so amazing to watch. She literally doesn't do anything yet, but that's what makes her so amazing to watch. It's as if everything she does is something you are seeing for the first time, because it's so new for her, so it's amazing. And the obvious reaction there is, wow I can't wait until she can crawl, or walk, or talk, and we can see her personality. It's funny how that is the general reaction when you first meet a baby. For me, I didn't even think about the "I can't wait..." statement until the new dad mentioned it. For me I was so content learning from her and watching her learn to smile, and open her eyes, and just be. I actually learned so much from someone who literally knows nothing other than what her needs are to survive.

Beautiful. Inspiring. And definitely puts into perspective all of those thoughts on winter blues.  

It also inspired me to make a majorly huge cookie. And then call it a pie. Because its basically cookie dough that was made into giant cookie, and then shared in pie pieces.

I'm also going to let you in on a secret...there are no eggs in this batter, so you could totally eat it as a pudding, or mousse type dessert.  (I "tested" the batter while I was making it and let's just say the next time I make this, I might skip the oven waiting part).


Alright, so the pictures don't depict it to be the most beautiful light golden brown pie. It didn't come out like that (damn, eh?). Although it does come out a bit darker than I would have liked, it's still very moist in the inside! And hopefully the chickpeas don't scare you off. Yes, you heard me correctly....

Read on!




 
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe) 

Ingredients:
1 cup (1 can) chick peas, liquid drained
1/2 cup quick oats
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp butter or canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used white and semi-sweet)

Directions:
1. Spray a pie plate with cooking spray and set aside. In a food processor begin to process the chickpeas. After about a minute add in the remaining ingredients up to but not including the the chocolate chips. Make sure everything is blended together well.

2. With a spatula, mix in the chocolate chips, and spread the batter into a your pie dish. Cook at 350 F for 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

3. Slice into pie pieces and serve warm. If you are feeling like this is more pie-esque than cookie try serving a la mode or topped with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment