Sunday, March 25, 2012

Perfectly Grilled Striploin Steaks

 
I have got a case of the "in-betweens". Weather can really help to play into this and so can the changing seasons. Transitions from winter and spring, and spring to summer seem to make me a bit antsy because I want the full transition to happen. Right now. And my early adoption of spring behaviour is making me consistently cold, because I see the sun and I want it to be warmer than it is.  However, it is only March and based on the calendar we are only into the first week of spring. The weather here has been so fantastic and sunny and warm lately that I forget that it really should be colder right now.

Last year at this time I was still planning ski trips, there was still a fair bit of snow lying around and I thought that it was pretty much cruel and unusual punishment that any of the stores had anything resembling a short for sale. This year is the total opposite. We had a heat wave the past week and it feels more like May temperatures right now.  But it really does seem to throw off the internal temperature guide. I am finding that in the sun it is so warm that I need to be wearing short sleeves. Out of the sun I am freezing and need a sweater, pants, scarf, decently warm socks and potentially a fur parka. Ok, so not actually the crazy amount of layers that I just described, but I am finding it really to be polar opposites for the weather and the mornings and afternoons are completed unrelated to each other.  You are definitely not able to have just one outfit for a day. You need a few just so that you can regulate temperature and sun amount. The multiple outfits in a day is a dream come true for me! However, its not really a dream come true for my laundry basket...

But I really don't want to keep summer dreaming. I guess you always want what you can't have right? Well can have, but just not quite yet. I know that in a month or so I can unveil a more spring-like wardrobe for the whole day since everything will start to warm up. But I have definitely jumped the gun on this summer behaviour.  

So no more early starts. No more wanting things that are coming soon, but wanting them to be here right now. I am going to enjoy the sunshine and the warmth that is here right now. And I should be happy that it is spring and sunny and not raining, although I do love my rain boots. Maybe I should just embrace this weather and the need for multi-outfits per day. I should also enjoy the fact that right now, as the engineer and his dad are working on putting the railings up for our deck and finishing it off before summer starts so that we can enjoy a fully-finished deck, I am going to grill some steaks. (Anyone else want to come work on my deck? You work, I'll cook! Kidding...kind of) Grilling anything on a BBQ makes me think of summer and is getting me deck ready! Kind of getting an early start with the summer tendencies, but more just practicing so that I am in full-on start mode when the seasons do settle in and the heat is here.

Yes, even though I am trying to wait I still kind of want to jump the gun...



The beginning of the railing, and a bit of a view of our handmade Muskoka chairs!


Perfectly Grilled Striploin Steaks

Ingredients:
4 Striploin Steaks
Steak Spice, (I used Montreal Steak Spice) to taste
1 medium Eggplant
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

Directions
1. Heat up your BBQ so that it reaches an internal temperature of 400 F.

2. Sprinkle steak spice (of your choice) on to the side facing up for the steaks. Rub the spices into the steaks and allow them to rest while the BBQ heats up.

3. Slice the eggplant into thin round slices, and then cut each round in half. Drizzle olive oil over each slice and don't worry is the eggplant is not completely covered in the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

4. Place the Steaks on the main grilling surface of your BBQ. On the top rack (further away from the heat) place your eggplant.

5. For medium rare, grill the steaks for approximately 5-8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. When you turn the steaks over, turn the eggplant over as well.

6. Once you are finished cooking allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. The steaks look really yummy, and good idea to add herbs (apparently a healthier way to do bbq'd steak) especially rosemary. That's one great looking railing too!

    ReplyDelete