Saturday, March 17, 2012

Simple Mini Cheese Popovers



Insecurities. Everyone has them. Everyone wishes for things they aren't or to be better in areas where they see flaws. You try to be optimistic about things but let's be honest, its easier to focus on the flaws and make them better than it is to ignore them and focus on what is truly wonderful.

Ever see that perfect fitting pair or jeans on someone else. And you find them, try them on and the first word that comes to mind is frump? Ya. Its the worst. High expectations, low results. What a huge smack in the face. Why is life so cruel!?

And is there really any good way to deal with that? No. Eating a cupcake? Doesn't help you feeling frumpy, that's a fact. Retail therapy? Well that just seems silly. Why would you put yourself through the torture of trying on more fails? Get nice and sweaty through a work out? Maybe, but it isn't going to drastically change the shape of how you fit into those jeans, like right now (but it probably will make you feel a bit better and will re-arrange your outlook on life). I really have no answer to why some clothes fit you properly, while others just seem to be total meh's. Where is the justice in the world! I just want to feel as good as that other person looked in those jeans! 


So basically I want to steal a feeling? That's probably my problem: I'm not that other person. I don't walk, talk, style myself, groom myself, eat, drink, or breath in the same way that person does. So how can I honestly expect myself to try on a pair of pants and voila! they look the exact same awesome way on you.

Oh the unrealistic expectations that we all seem to have for things.

What do I find to be realistic? Things you love. Things you honestly, truly, unconditionally love. For me, I love to cook and bake. I love mixing creations up, trying different combinations, figuring out how ingredients mix together and what combinations make different consistencies. I think its pretty cool, it's a science really. These creations seem to make the world a bit simpler for me. And so I love it. 


 

Just a bit of food colouring for St. Pat's!
 

One unrealistic expectation I had was that my oven could handle two mini muffin pans at a time and have the popovers come out light and pop-ie. The first batch did not. The left over batter I had (I made more than double the yield actually) came out much better. So a word to the wise, if you are going to double the recipe, bake one batch at a time. Lesson learned.

See the difference?

Batch 1...



...Batch 2
 


Simple Mini Cheese Popovers (adapted from Gourmet Magazine), makes 24
 
Ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
1/3 cup finely grated mozzarella
2 tbsp grated Parmesan
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp crush red pepper
Cooking Spray, for the pan

Directions:
1. Whisk together milk, eggs, flour, butter, salt, and pepper until smooth, then stir in cheeses and chives. Chill 1 hour to allow batter to rest (I chilled the batter overnight).

2. Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in upper third. Spray the muffin pan, then heat in oven until spray sizzles, about 2 minutes.

3. Gently stir batter, then divide among muffin cups (they will be about two-thirds full).

4. Bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Note: I added a bit of green food colouring (In honour of St. Pat), but it is definitely optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment