Monday, March 5, 2012

Turkey Sausage Paella


I love to feel fancy. I love everything about anything that makes me feel, think, eat, do fancy. I love pretty and dainty everything. I am one of those people that has to have everything mini. Mini cupcakes, mini crab cakes, mini skirts, mini bows, Minnie Mouse. Everything mini. What else do I think is totally major? Anything beautifully colored, pastel or bright. So when those two things combine, I'm totally sucked in to the fanciness. I love macaroons, tea cups, anything floral, and lace. 

I guess that makes me a girly girl. And I'm ok with that.

I think my most treasured compliment was when my Grandma told my dad that I was turning into such a lady. I loved that so much because that is truly what makes me feel fancy. I love to feel lady like! It's so fancy! It's feeling like you get to know the queen and princesses and you can call your friends "duckie" as a term of endearment (short for duchess, sooo fancy!)

 I felt very fancy making this paella. I think any recipe that calls for wine in the recipe adds the element of fancy.  And since I'm in love with fancy, naturally I was in love with the flavours of this paella.


Turkey Sausage Paella (adapted from Canadian Living)

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
5 Turkey Sausages
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
4-5 pieces of kale, stems removed, sliced into ribbons
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup wild rice
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp paprika
fresh parsley for garnish 

Directions
 1. In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add about 1/4 cup water and the sausages. Cook the sausages and then transfer to a plate. 

2. In a separate sauce pan begin to cook the rice, as directed.
3.  Drain the skillet and heat the remaining olive oil. Cook the onion, pepper, celery and kale until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. 
4. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and stir until evenly distributed amongst the vegetables.
5. Add chicken broth, white wine and paprika, Return the sausages to the pan and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover and cook for 5-10 more minutes until the flavours have combined.
6. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve as it is, or over rice.

*Note: traditionally the rice is cooked into the paella. If you would like to cook it that way follow the instructions on the Canadian Living link. 


No comments:

Post a Comment