Sunday, October 7, 2012

Apple Pie


As the saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I think this also applies to if you don't have anything interesting to say, then don't say anything at all. Today, I don't have anything interesting to say. Maybe it is because us Canadians have stuffed our turkeys and ourselves this weekend with all the Thanksgiving goodness that I'm at a loss for thoughts right now.

I found this pie to be a challenge. Either the dough was too cold to roll out, or it was too soft and needed to be chilled again. It also fell apart easily. But I persevered - I like to bake pies, so the effort was worth it. This is definitely a sweet pie crust. I liked that it turned out almost like a cookie. It complimented the tarte apples really nicely. I found the filling to not be quite pie-esque enough. I loved the flavours, but next time I might toss in a bit of flour so that the apples melt and get that sticky filling around them. Let me know if you have any success with this!

Ok, enough of me talking about nothing. It's pie time.

I started at the source: the directions.

 

Whisked some flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, coconut oil and vanilla.


Once it was mixed, I wrapped it up before chilling it.


Rolling it out is a workout! But the edges liked to trim themselves, so that was helpful.


The key to a nice pie is the top crust. A lot is said when you first pull your pie out of the oven and present it to the consumers of the pie. You want to wow them. I went for a girly wow: hearts.


All that's left is to cut and serve it.



Apple Pie (Adapted from the Babycakes Cookbook)

Pie Crust:
3 Cups Gluten Free All-purpose Flour mix
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp Salt
7 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar
2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4-1/3 Cup Cold Water

Apple Filling:
6 Medium Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a pie plate and set aside (I used a 12 inch pie plate).
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla and cut in with a pastry cutter until the mix resembles a course meal.
3. Slowly add the cold water until a slightly moist dough is formed. Form the dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes.
4. While you are waiting for the dough to chill, combine apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar and mix until the apples are evenly coated.
5. Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator and take off the plastic wrap. Using two pieces of wax paper (one on the bottom and one on top), roll out the dough into an even 1/4 inch thickness. Peel off the top layer of wax paper and fit it into the prepared pie plate. Trim edges of the excess dough. The excess you trim off the edges will be used on the top.
6. Fill the pie shell with the mixture. Take the excess dough for the top and either create a pattern (I used heart cut outs), or design a lattice top. The amount of excess dough you have left over will depend on the size of the pan you use.
7. Bake the pie for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the pie to cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with ice cream, or dairy free frozen dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment