Sunday, November 11, 2012

Buckwheat Cottage Cheese Pancakes


It's like eat. pray. love. Those situations where there are three simple steps. Three simple concepts. The great situation where you wake up in the morning and smile knowing you have a full day ahead of you still. Even if there are really exciting things to fill up the day, like grocery shopping, vacuuming, dishes, raking leaves, etc., for whatever reason you wake up smiling. It's simple. You know that all the tasks on your list are simple. And the simplicity makes you smile. Nothing overwhelming here, you have the whole day.

I do not wake up every day like this. That would make me way to calm and level-headed. I am neither of those in the morning. I am a "wake up and within t-minus negative three seconds I have already formulated my morning routine in my head" kind of person. Shower? Yes, no. (Yes I don't shower every morning, sometimes I shower the night before. I still smell nice every day, don't you worry). Breakfast? Toast or Cereal? Do I have my cell phone and wallet? Do I have my lipgloss? Do I have on a great outfit? Yes, yes yes? Ok. I am ready to take on the day. Then I get into my car and exhale. I have no recollection of doing anything to get ready, but that's ok. I was on autopilot, and my autopilot takes care of it all.

Auto-pilot is not the mode I am in when its the simple three word smiling type of morning. The auto-pilot is off because I have no need to just get-r-done. I can meander, and doddle, and smell the flowers, or more likely, kick and jump in some leaves. I know I can fill it with the day with things that give me the sense of accomplishment, while also allow me to be in the moment. And not only am I in the moment, I'm happy. Of course, this morning there is sunshine.

Let's make some pancakes. And let's keep it simple. Auto-pilot can take over tomorrow.

Flour. Milk and Eggs. Cottage Cheese.


Mixing in the wet into the dry. And stir.


Cook. Serve. Eat.


Love.



Buckwheat Cottage Cheese Pancakes (adapted from the Whole Foods recipe)
Makes about 12 pancakes

1 Cup Buckwheat Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
3 packets of powder stevia
1/2 cup milk (any kind you would like)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cottage cheese
1-2 tsp coconut oil (for the pan)
Toppings for your pancakes

Directions:
1. In a large skillet heat 1-2 tsp of coconut oil. Heat up the pan over medium heat until the coconut oil coats the bottom.
2. In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and stevia.
3. In a large measuring cup add milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat until mixture is frothy. Add cottage cheese and mix until the cottage cheese is evenly distributed through the wet ingredients.
4. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
5. Add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the hot pan and allow to cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until bubbles are bursting on the top of the pancakes and the bottom is nicely browned.
6. Serve hot with your favourite topping. Some of my favourite suggestions are maple syrup, honey, jam, apple sauce, or yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment