Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Slow Cooker Carrot, Beet and Lentil Soup

There is a reason there isn't any pictures of this soup.

The main reason is this:



And this,


And this.


Kitchen Renovation time! Which means, that cooking could slightly be on hiatus for a bit. Good thing I have stored up a few Christmas goodie posts with pictures, prior to the insanity sweeping through my house.

Not only is the dust everywhere, my whole kitchen is shrink-wrapped right now! And I was sick over the weekend, so it made perfect sense to make this soup. I made this soup because sometimes I just need a mega-mega hit of vitamins. Sometimes, I just need to feel healthier. Sometimes I get sick, and the best thing for me, is a big bowl of soup, loaded with richness and tons of nutrient stuff. Enter in beets, carrots, lentils and ginger. Wham, bam.

This soup was so rich and wonderful, that even though I didn't have any legitimate pictures, it was too good not to share.

Slow Cooker Carrot, Beet and Lentil Soup (adapted from Canadian Living)
Serves 4


1 cup green lentils
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 cups water
2 cups vegetable broth
Yogurt, for garnish

Directions:
1. In slow cooker, combine lentils, carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper; pour in water and broth.
2. Cover and cook on low until vegetables and lentils are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
3. Using immersion blender, or in stand blender in batches, purée soup until smooth.
4. Top with yogurt, if desired. Serve hot.
I will keep you updated on the progress of the reno!

No comments:

Post a Comment