Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baked White Fish with Spicy Mustard Cumin Marinade


Keep it simple. Right? Sure, it is so easy to just say it. But can you actually do it? I'm not too good at it. I always cover the angles. All the angles. Too many angles. And its never an equilateral triangle, let me tell you that much. It's not even close to being an isosceles! In fact, is there anything that is actually something simple? Answer: something that's your thing. What's your thing? What is that thing that you never find difficult, you never hate doing, you just do it and you never really notice you are doing it. That's your thing. 

Mine is definitely planning and organization. I love lists, I love checking things off my list, I love planning things and getting them done well. Boring right? But it's my thing! So I think it's totally cool. And so does my mom.

I honestly love having well-laid plans, and feeling like everything is organized and non-chaotic. When the world is planned, I can wake up and look good, do good, feel good (it's a motto to try to live by, or at least it's mine). An organized world to me just seems to all fall in to palce perfectly and fit the way a puzzle should when each piece has found its home. This state is when I find everything to be the most simple. It is the only time in life that I can honestly say that I know how to keep it simple. I just am. It's pretty cool.

I do not, however, find puzzles to be simple or make sense. Ever.

Simple marinades can do the same thing to food, I find. Simple combinations can change things from normal to wowza with minimal effort and thinking. Its cooking's thing - finding the perfect combination that compliments the dish. Fish can sometimes be tricky because it tastes, well, fishy. But adding the right flavours can help to achieve something simple, uncomplicated, and well laid out. Just like my favourite plans.




Raw....and then cooked.


Baked White Fish with Spicy Mustard Cumin Marinade

Ingredients:
2 large fillets of white fish, enough to serve 4-6
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp grainy mustard
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp lemon juice

Directions:
1. Preheat the over to 400F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the two fillets of fish on the sheet.

2. Sprinkle half of each of the chili powder, grainy mustard, cumin and lemon juice on to each fillet.

3. With a pastry brush, spread the marinade around on the fish until evenly distributed. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the fish begins to split (as seen in the pictures). Turn your oven on to broil and broil on high for 2-3 minutes, watching to ensure the tops do not burn.

5. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment