Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hummus


To me honesty is probably one of the most important parts of life.  I don't mean the always telling the truth, never telling a lie kind of honesty; I mean the opening up and sometimes putting yourself into a vulnerable space kind of honesty. It's funny that it is called being open because you are literally opening yourself up to whatever wants to crawl in. It does make sense. And the uncertainty of what will actually happen when you do open yourself up is really really scary.

I think that's what makes honesty one of my favourite qualities. People that are honest and open are so attractive. They are the type of people that you want to be, you want to know, you want to spend all your time with. They are popular because they are comfortable being honest. And that's a really tough skill to have I think.

Can you honestly tell me the last time you just opened up and weren't afraid to just be open? I am sure I do it sometimes, but it is definitely not a consistent behaviour of mine. But I wish I could be comfortable all the time and be able to genuinely be honest.

Maybe a goal for 2012 (a few months late I guess, but better late than never) is to try to be more aware of being honest. Not be afraid to say no, I don't like that, or this is what I really want to do. And then just accept the response that I get. Accept that I was honest and be ok with however the honesty is taken.

I also really love honest foods. The foods that are simple, whole, comforting. It doesn't get any more honest than Hummus.




Classic Hummus Recipe (adapted from Annie's Eats)

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced

Directions:
1. In a liquid measuring cup measure the water, lemon juice, and olive oil.
2. Add the garlic to the liquids and mix.
3. In a food processor put in the chickpeas and then pour the liquid over top.
4. Process until the hummus is smooth and creamy.
5. Serve with tortilla chips, pita, veggies, or crackers.

What is your favourite thing to dip in hummus?

1 comment:

  1. I love dipping carrots in hummus, and I've always wanted to make hummus myself, but I haven't gotten around to making it yet! Yours looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete