Thursday, April 19, 2012

Asparagus "Scramelet"


What is your kryptonite? Mine is apparently the french omelet. What I would give to be able to successfully flip that amazing omelet over, folding it just right, and then sprinkling some fresh cut chives over top of it. My cooking seems to be successful up to the part where the omelet is flip ready, however, when it comes to my execution of the flip, the omelet disintegrates.

What am I doing wrong? What did I do today that has created this bad karma situation for me?! I promise, tomorrow I will be perfect, selfless, caring, giving. Wait, I'm pretty sure that's how I was today...no? I wasn't?! Oh. Maybe that is why my omelets don't work out.

Well perception is in the eye of the beholder. Or something like that.

Don't misjudged me though. I will persevere and conquer this one. This is only documented number one. There will be more takes, with different ingredients and different combinations. I will make this omelet. You read it here first. (Suggestions and hints as to the best how-to will be much appreciated. Although at the end of the day it will come down to just me and my pan).

It. is. on.




Alright. Here it comes. The moment of truth...


...And here is the moment of acceptance. This is going to be a "scramelet", and not an omelet. Boo!


Look at me rebel yell, with my one piece of bacon and sauteed cauliflower hash browns!

Asparagus Omelet
Serves 1

Ingredients:
Butter, for the pan
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
4-5 Asparagus spears, cut into thirds
2 tbsp sweet onion, finely diced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Chili Flakes, to finish (optional)

Directions:
1. In a skillet, heat up butter and coat the bottom of the pan.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk for about a minute until the mixture becomes fluffy and bubbly. Add the asparagus, onion, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine the ingredients, about a minute more.

3. Pour the mixture into the hot skillet, ensuring the evenly spread the mixture across the bottom. If you need to move the asparagus around, do it quickly, before the bottom part of the eggs cook.

4.  Option 1: When the eggs become to look cooked on the top, slide a spatula under one third of the omelet and fold over to the centre. Repeat this technique on the other side, with a second third of the omelet and place the fold on top of the first fold. Flip the folded omelet over to allow the folds to cook and seal together.

5. Option 2: When the eggs begin to look cooked on top, attempt to fold a third of the omelet. When the omelet begins to fall apart, try to salvage your fold by scrambling the cooked mixture up. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the scrambled mixture begins to brown.

6. Transfer your omelet/scramelet to a plate. Serve immediately.

2 comments: