Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies

I have totally fallen head over heels for spring. I get when they call it spring fever, because there is something about that little bit of extra heat to really get a person going. This comment really shouldn't be news to you, since I have already expressed my major want to show my ankles and shoulders and skin in general. Not in a "distasteful" way per se, but more of a it's warming up and so I don't get cold when I don't wear socks, kind of way. I know, I know, I keep saying this and really just need to relax for a month and I will get there. But actually, I'm kind of enjoying this mild weather of spring.

What am I enjoying even more than the mildness?! The spring pastel fashions out there. There isn't enough time in the day for me to actually fully grasp how gorgeous all of the fresh colours are right now. Soft and feminine, I just feel like a "lady" ready to conquer a nice tea party and some french macaroons. Notice how the macaroons are beautifully coloured as well? It almost makes you feel like a pastry, with all of the dessert-inspired key limes, tangerines, and bubblegum colours available.

Head over heels for this.

It's funny. Some seasons I have no idea what stores are doing. What the "trends" are for that time period just make me want to gag. Right now, I find that any store is pretty much dangerous and I need to remove myself from all pretty pastel situation as soon as possible, to avoid risking having to re-mortgage my house. Ok, so maybe that's a bit too over the top shopaholic-esque. But seriously, pastels?! I am totally smitten!

What else makes me smitten? The allure of vacations. Like the one that I just got home from. Where did I go, you might ask? Well I went to home to visit friends and family. Boring, right? NOT! Most people seem to dread visiting their families, or having their families come to visit. I am dreading the part when we have all settled into being too close for comfort and all start the petty fights we have. Aka my sister and I arguing over borrowing a sweater. Silly, right? But totally happens. Girls are funny that way. But, if I wasn't a girl, I definitely would not be so head over heels for these pastels.

So I will take those petty sweater fights in exchange for the loveliness of spring fashion.

What am I not so head over heels for? These cookies. They taste ok, but look really squishy-squirshy. I'm not too sure what that means, but it's the only description that I think does these babies justice. And really I think it's my recipe tweaks. Who knows, they look a bit weird, but trust me, that didn't stop me from eating a couple...times two.

Starting with good intentions.


The best intentions. It looks ok so far.
 

Annnnnd Swirly!
 

Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies (adapted from The Joy the Baker Cookbook)

Ingredients:
1 cup all-natural crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 teaspoons molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
Generous pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Directions:
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Using a hand mixer, cream together the peanut butter, sugar, apple sauce and the molasses until thoroughly combined, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, baking soda, and nutmeg and mix on medium speed for another 2 minutes.

3. Using a teaspoon, drop dough on to the lined cookie sheet, and using a fork, press the cookies down (otherwise you will get balls instead of cookies). 

4. Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment