Sunday, May 13, 2012

Tropical Fruit Crisp


It seems that everyone has a dish that they associate with their Mom. There is that one dish that regardless of who makes it, how they make it, and what recipe they use, your Mom's version will always be the best. Period. 

For me, it is apple crisp. My Mom's apple crisp is the best. It could very well be that she uses the same recipe that you are used to, but this is the particular recipe that I associate with how wonderful and loving my Mother is. 

My Mom once shared with me that her Mom used to make the best hot fudge sundaes. It sounded like such an indulgent sundae: my grandma would heat up the chocolate and make a hot fudge sauce using chocolate chips and cream. Although I have never asked my Mom what her favourite recipe from her Mom actually is, I would like to think that based on her sharing this memory the hot fudge sundae is it.

For my dad, it was his Mom's egg salad sandwiches. They made picnics perfect, and she always made sure they were chilled. Sounds delicious.

In honour (Note: in no way whatsoever am I trying to re-create her perfection), I bring you my version of my favourite recipe from my Mom. Quick fun fact? I just got off the phone with me mom and she was making a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp to serve at dinner for her Mom! It must run in the family.

Happy Mother's Day Mom!


It is ok if your oat mixture doesn't fully cover the top. A little peek-a-boo fruit makes it look pretty!



Tropical Fruit Crisp

Ingredients:
4 cups frozen tropical fruit blend (I used mango, strawberries, pineapple and peaches)
3 tbsp flour, divided (I used brown rice)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup rolled oats
1-2 tbsp sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
1 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp olive oil

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven you 350 F. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray or grease with butter.

2. Place frozen fruit into the prepared dish. Add 1 tbsp of flour and lemon juice and toss until coated.

3. In a small bowl, combine rolled oats, remaining 2 tbsp of flour, sugar, maple syrup and olive oil. Mix until combined.

4. Sprinkle oat mixture over top of your fruit until the top is covered.

5. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the fruit begins to bubble. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment