Monday, October 15, 2012

Earl Grey Tea Biscuits



I love a stormy fall day that is filled with hot tea and chocolate. I hate it when I don't read instructions and screw up because of it. I like it when the perfect song comes on the radio and your good mood is sent into even higher gear. I hate trying to get butter off my fingers. It is just gross. Simply gross.

I love animal print everything. Blankets, sweaters, shoes, bags, pictures. Everything. I also love kitten pictures. It makes me so happy to lock my iPad because the lock screen is a fuzzy little thing that is waiting for me when I fire it back up. However, actually making the leap to getting myself a real life little bundle of kitten joy scares the peanuts out of me. It just seems like a lot of responsibility. I have a hard enough time with plants. They all seem to have a very short shelf life when they are under my care, so I feel like something that has more needs could end up being a bad situation for me. Right now at least. Give me a break, I just need to grow up a little bit. Kittens are a big step!

I love going out to watch other people's activities (baseball games, soccer games, football games, basketball games, dance recitals, music concerts. All of them). I also love it when they come to watch my activities. Sometimes. Well, only when I'm really good at the activity. I can't be making a total idiot out of myself all the time. I love sitting around and sipping tea. I probably drink four or five cups a day. It's soothing. It's relaxing. It's me time.  I love that. In honour of this, let's bake with some tea flavours.

This next recipe is a bit of a flavour surprise. Sweet and bold. The Earl Grey lends a wonderful fruity taste to balance with the slight flavour of the coconut flour. It is really a wonderful combination if you ask me. They do look slightly suspicious with the dark flex in there, but the flex are just flavour punches. Take it standing up! And just to clarify what I mean by biscuit here, they are a but of a hybrid baked good. While they are Closer to a scone than a crunchy biscuit, they are (in my opinion) too small and flat to be scones. So they are kind of a scone-biscuit hybrid. A hybrid I have called a tea biscuit. Following? Ok, good.


Above our patient little biscuits are waiting to be baked. I find that coconut flour makes all baked goods very delicate to deal with (aka it doesn't hold together the best). So be gentle with these beauties. 



Be a rebel. Serve these biscuits with green tea, or herbal tea. I think serving them with some more Earl Grey might be a bit overboard, but maybe not? It's up to you. I personally had mine with some nice Lemon Green tea. Light, fruity, complimentary.




Perfect for a tea party.


Earl Grey Tea Biscuits
Yield: 6-8 small biscuits

1/2 Cup plus 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
1 Tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp baking soda
4 Tea Bags of Earl Grey Tea
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 flax eggs (2 Tbs flax meal, whisked into 1/2 cup of water)
1 Tbsp honey
1 Cup Plain Yogurt
1 Tsp natural vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and earl grey tea. In a large bowl, beat the oil and eggs together until combined. Add half of the flour mixture to the oil mixture and mix well.
3. In a small measuring cup combine yogurt, vanilla and honey. Fold this mixture into the batter mixture. Add in the remaining flour mixture until just combined.
4. Using a small muffin scoop, scoop scones onto the parchment paper. Press the scoops down and shape into smooth disks.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms have appeared to brown (coconut flour tends to get darker on the bottom faster than other types of flour. All the scones to cool for 5 minutes prior to serving. Serve warm, with cream cheese, marmalade or jam. 

1 comment:

  1. My husband and son love Earl Grey tea, so these biscuits could prove very popular in our house! They do sound very delicious :)

    ReplyDelete