Thursday, October 18, 2012

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies


I am totally the worst person at making sound effects. Whoosh! Bang! Swish! Yes, those words are not used very often by me. Especially not in the sense of utilizing them to actually make the sound they are supposed to portray. Machine gun noises? Nope. I am awful. Choo-choo train? Nah, I'll pass. Don't get me wrong, when someone does the noises, I love it. I am jealous of their skill. And oh, what a talent it is.

I love entertaining stories. Especially when the person telling them have the best sound effect skills. As 5-year old as it sounds, the sound effects totally make the story. They draw you in. They keep things interesting. Heck, they touch your heart, just a little bit. My dad was by far the best story-teller I have known. Taking classics and making them a bit different. Or making up new classics, and keeping their saga going with new adventures. I remember the three little bears: Whitey, Brownie, and Blackie. They lived just across the meadow, over the babbling brook (oh the babble noises were fantastic!), in the most cozy log cottage. They lived close to the woods and would sometimes journey through the woods in search of their various adventures. Other times they would just hang out around the pond, fishing, talking to the frogs that would hang out on the lily pads, ribbet, ribbet. Growing up, these bears were the best part of my bed time routine. 

The bear concept itself was simple. What drew you into the story on a more personal level, as if you were part of their world, was the sound effects. Now, when I'm baking the sound effects could be so cool! The clang of the pan as you are getting it out of the cupboard, the spinning of the mixer and the beating of the eggs, the sizzle of the hot-hot heat as whatever it is comes fresh out of the oven. The sound effects keep it interesting. But because I'm not particularly skilled in the sound effect department (as we have just covered), I am going to leave the effects to the pictures. And you can use your own imagination, or sound effect skills to caption the pictures. Let me know what you come up with.

Zing, zang, woosh! (Awful, I know.)


 

I mean what really is an inside out chocolate chip cookie anyways? Well, to me its the flip of your regular batter with chocolate chips. It's a chocolate cookie base, with a white chocolate chip. Its a regular choco-chipper flipped inside out. Starting with a little flour, and some cocoa powder left overs on the counter, we create some beauty cookies.


Cookie rows ready for the oven.


Fresh baked goodness.



Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Joy of Baking)
Yield: 2 Dozen cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Dash of salt
1 cups white chocolate chips or chunks

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two cookie sheets and set aside.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).  Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.  3. In a separate bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt and then add to the butter and egg mixture.  Mix just until incorporated.  Then, fold in the the chocolate chips.
4. Using a small cookie scoop or two spoons, place about 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter on the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
5. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until the the cookies are still soft in the center but are firm around the edges.  Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.  

*Note: I personally am gluten free, so I would substitute the flour in this recipe for a gluten free all-purpose blend. I would also substitute the sugars for 1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar. I made these cookies for my team at work, and thought I would stick to the classic cookie recipe. Based on the feedback I received today, I am definitely going to have to try the recipe with my substitutions because these treats received rave reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment