Friday, December 28, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

 
It's kind of a quiet time right now. A bit of a lull that happens between Christmas and New Years. Turkey leftovers are gone, only a few of those Christmas cookies are left, and everyone is pretty much ready to go on their juice diet a few days early. I like the lull. It gives me time to catch up on marathon TV session. My recommendations? You really don't want to know. Oh, you still do? Keeping up with the Kardashians, House Hunters International, and Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. You asked.

Although it is normally a lull time, for me it's a bit of a chaotic time. My kitchen renovation is still in progress and things are seeming to get worse. I literally have no stove right now. And my refrigerator is in my garage. My freezing cold, dark garage. If you ever want to lose weight put your refrigerator in the most inconvenient and unpleasant place to go. Trust me, it will deter you in to eating a lot of pistachios and dry cereal since they are kept inside. But what I really want is a nice big bowl full of soupy-hugs. Yes, you heard me right. I need some loving company to get me through my marathons of awesome TV re-runs. There is nothing better.  Super comforting, cozy, and full of bright colours. And no, I am not referring to the many shades of lipstick and nail polish that the Kardashians constantly sport. I am talking about Butternut Squash Soup. And seriously, there is nothing better than this. And if all else fails, at least this soup looks refined, classy and mature...

On an unrelated note, I should get a medal. I made this soup without a stove and without an oven. That's right. I am cooking some really awesome stuff with only a toaster oven and a griddle. This is me going back to my University days except now I'm a bit more snobby with what I cook. Needless to say I am doing some totally awesome crafts since baking just isn't an option.

Regardless of not having an oven or not, you can not go wrong with such a classic soup. It is definitely a favourite around my house, and with family and friends.


A nice drizzle of olive oil before roasting takes place in the toaster oven.


Food process away, and then serve. Simple. No one needs to know what your kitchen looked like during the process...

 

The soup says it all.


Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4-6

1 Medium Butternut Squash, seeds removed and cut into quarters
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, cut into quarters
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Taking your butternut squash, drizzle a scant tablespoon of olive oil over top. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, place the onion on the same baking sheet and continue to roast for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Allow the squash and onion to cool for 10-15 minutes until you can handle them. Remove the skins from the squash and cut into roughly 1-inch cubes.
5. Using your food processor, combine the squash onion and 2 cups of the vegetable broth. With the food processor still on, add the remaining 1 cup of broth and 1 cup of water until the mixture is well combined.
6. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Easy peasy! I was thinking of making butternut squash soup this week, how did you know! Thanks for the recipe! Happy New Year!!

    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
    I hope to see you again next week!

    This week's link up will be live tonight at 7 pm eastern time! We will have kicking this year off with a Gluten Free Giveaway! Better Batter has graciously offered to share some Brownie mix to one lucky person! Come share all your goodies! Remember you can link up recipes, review or healthy living posts! The more you link up the more chances you have to win!

    See you there!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete